Katrina & Racism?

Postby Invid » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:46 pm

I just found this article and it ticked me off to think that some people still think this way....

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045706.php/Poverty_age_and_skin_color_factors_say_Legislators wrote:WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- Members of the Congressional Black Caucus charged Friday that poor black victims of Hurricane Katrina were left in the lurch.

At a news conference, Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., suggested some people were dying because of 'poverty, age and skin color,' the Detroit News reported.

New Orleans, the major city hit hardest by Katrina, is 67 percent black. Many residents who stayed in the city were unable to leave because they did not have cars or the money for bus fare.

Some representatives were angry at news coverage, accusing the media of heavy coverage of looters and sometimes of race-biased coverage. One complaint circulating on the Internet involves photographs showing people carrying food, with blacks described in captions as looters while whites were called people who had found food.

Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., said many people still in the city had been forced to rifle stores to get food and water.

'Desperate people do desperate things,' she said.

Regardless of how many people fled N.O. before the storm the majority of the people would still be african american considering 67% of the city's population is A.A. I'm sick and tired of hearing "it's the white mans fault" every time something wrong happens to a black person. I think there are more racist black people than white people.

Before you go judging me on my comments realize that I own a business where 1/2 of my customers are black. I also have a black roommate. I dislike people for who they are (as in personality and actions) vs. what they are (race, creed, etc.). I guess you could say that I'm an "Equal Opportunity Hater."

Discuss...
Invid. The Man, The Myth, The Legend.
Invid

Postby Hazerduz » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:50 pm

I actually read another story where it also dealt with racism I'll have to find it.
Hazerduz
Godlike Member

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:02 pm

yeah this thing is in every forum in the world right now..

here is the way i see it...if this guy was truely there to help raise money ..why would he put his personel agenda infront of the cause..
did he think that just from his outlook that he was gonna get people crashing down the door with money to help donate..He probably pissed off alot of people about to call in that will find another way to help now..
the fact is he turned it into a race issue in a fund raiser and became counter productive to the cause..
mike myers wasn't looking at him ..he was lookin for the guy with the big hook to pull this guy off the stage..
they should have put up a sign as they walked on the stage..leave your political and personel agendas right here before stepping into the help area..
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/casshern' target='_blank'>Image</a>
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Postby EvilOne » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:57 pm

Invid wrote:
Regardless of how many people fled N.O. before the storm the majority of the people would still be african american considering 67% of the city's population is A.A.  I'm sick and tired of hearing "it's the white mans fault" every time something wrong happens to a black person.  I think there are more racist black people than white people. 

Before you go judging me on my comments realize that I own a business where 1/2 of my customers are black.  I also have a black roommate.  I dislike people for who they are (as in personality and actions) vs. what they are (race, creed, etc.).  I guess you could say that I'm an "Equal Opportunity Hater."

i agree with the "equal opportunity hater" thing. and there are a lot of very racist minorities (yeah, there are racist white people too, i'm not saying that white people are better...) in that they can do things like accuse the news and other people of leaving black people behind and that's ok, but if there was a white person saying that they were taking black people and leaving whites behind, everyone would get all pissed off and call the latter a racist. it seems like a lot of minorities abuse their status as such, and i really hate that. i have no problem with people making truthful accusations, but a lot of times they aren't, or they go too far with something. at any rate, its really ridiculous to bring that kind of thing up right now in the middle of a disaster. :angry:
EvilOne

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:08 pm

Sorry..i didn't read the quote ..i thought it said Kanye instead of katrina..
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Postby Dewmie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:52 pm

everyone knows that its a vast right wing conspiracy against the left and minorities...

white republicans caused the hurricane in the first place!
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/dewmgheyz' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Dewmie

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:38 pm

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1045706.php/Poverty_age_and_skin_color_factors_say_Legislators wrote:WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- Members of the Congressional Black Caucus charged Friday that poor black victims of Hurricane Katrina were left in the lurch.

At a news conference, Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., suggested some people were dying because of 'poverty, age and skin color,' the Detroit News reported.

New Orleans, the major city hit hardest by Katrina, is 67 percent black. Many residents who stayed in the city were unable to leave because they did not have cars or the money for bus fare.

Some representatives were angry at news coverage, accusing the media of heavy coverage of looters and sometimes of race-biased coverage. One complaint circulating on the Internet involves photographs showing people carrying food, with blacks described in captions as looters while whites were called people who had found food.

Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., said many people still in the city had been forced to rifle stores to get food and water.

'Desperate people do desperate things,' she said.

right now our country is fucked in the head...
people can't put thier diffrences aside for a disaster what makes us think they could do it any other time??
anyone that plays the race card when there is a crisis going on is pumping up the volume on racism..chances are they are making a living on racism and want it to strengthen..

yahoo put those 2 pictures together for one article..
the real story is..when they see a person going down the street with items in thier hand they have to say here is a person with items in thier hand because they did not know where they got them..

when they see a person go into a store and take stuff they are called a looterwhich the person that took the other photo saw the person go in and take the items..

if things like this were explained in articles at the top of the article..it would not fuel the fires that feed the people that love to do nothing but spread more racism and give it strength...
like i have said alot today in a few forums...

the best way to get rid of racism is with a closed mouth to keep quiet and an open hand to shake with..
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Postby Jablo)v(e » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:06 pm

Dewmie wrote:everyone knows that its a vast right wing conspiracy against the left and minorities...

white republicans caused the hurricane in the first place!

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
<a href='http://tamu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=8373530' target='_blank'>Facebook</a>
Jablo)v(e

Postby Wolv » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:08 pm

You can thank the liberal media for this outlook. They've been pulling the race card for years, and it works cuz we still walk on eggshells over it....
The charm of hunting is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Wolv
Forum Junkie

Postby Cycopath » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:11 pm

CRaZy)-(ØR§]® wrote:the best way to get rid of racism is with a closed mouth to keep quiet and an open hand to shake with..

Personally I don't think we should get rid of it at all
Image<span style='font-size:23pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>ITA</span><span style='color:white'>LIA</span><span style='color:red'>NO!!!!!</span></span>
Cycopath

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 pm

Cycopath wrote:
CRaZy)-(ØR§ wrote:®,Sep 3 2005, 05:38 PM]the best way to get rid of racism is with a closed mouth to keep quiet and an open hand to shake with..

would you care to say why ??
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Postby Cycopath » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:02 pm

CRaZy)-(ØR§]® wrote:
Cycopath wrote:
CRaZy)-(ØR§ wrote:®,Sep 3 2005, 05:38 PM]the best way to get rid of racism is with a closed mouth to keep quiet and an open hand to shake with..

Maybe if I wouldn't be baned, if I get permission I will say, if not.......
Image<span style='font-size:23pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>ITA</span><span style='color:white'>LIA</span><span style='color:red'>NO!!!!!</span></span>
Cycopath

Postby Dilley*b » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:33 am

undefined
Cycopath wrote:
CRaZy)-(ØR§ wrote:®,Sep 3 2005, 08:19 PM]
Cycopath wrote:

Maybe if I wouldn't be baned, if I get permission I will say, if not.......

Blacks (IN THE MEDIA) still view themselves as oppressed. They always will feed off their heritage. Their past. Tho not one these days has been thru what their ancestors were thru with slavery.

Sad thing is, with this disaster, or any other, any crisis, if there's a racist angle to it or not, it will be created if there's not, it's never gonna change. Ever.
<a href='http://www.maximumgamerz.com/forums' target='_blank'>Gaming Forums - All Games, All Ages</a>
(_/)
(O.o) This is Bunny.
(> <) Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Dilley*b

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:14 am

Wolv wrote:You can thank the liberal media for this outlook. They've been pulling the race card for years, and it works cuz we still walk on eggshells over it....

nail on the head..
they are the ones that fuel a fires and strike the match..
i'm all for freedom of the press and freedom of speech..but there should be a responsability to the whole truth and a penalty for twisting it to make something look like something else...there should not be a fine line when it comes to telling the truth..fuck the gray areas and report it as it is or GET THE FUCK OUT!! =====>!!
i hope after this is over and the media is exposed for this crap on a level that pisses everyone off,and that someone brings down the hammer on these fuckers that could care less if they tell the real truth or not just because of who they think should be in office...

if they really gave a fuck they would would put down the mic and start pullin some people out instead of standig there watching like they are doing an african hunger commercial..hand out some freakin water you self righteous bastards!! :angry:
Last edited by CRaZy)-(ØR§]® on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:29 am

lets kinda clear the air of what the liberal media is feeding us and take a look at events that did happen..people may think that this does not need to be discussed at this moment..but think about what is being said and the affect it is having on people listening to the news in this country..while there is a disaster and while people are dying the liberal media is doing nothing but pumping up the volume on the bush hate and ignoring the events themselves...the truth will come out sooner or later...and
Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco better have some good freakin answers as to why she handled things the way she did..

and the mayor better have some good answers as to why there was a whole parking lot of busses sitting under water instead of filled with people that could not afford to get out..
<div class='bbimg'>Image</div>

<a href='http://michiganimc.org/newswire/display/11629/index.php' target='_blank'>http://michiganimc.org/newswire/display/11629/index.php</a>
This is criminal': Report from New Orleans

There were enough school buses that could have evacuated 20,000 people easily, but they just let them be flooded. My son watched 40 buses go underwater - they just wouldn't move them, afraid they'd be stolen.

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state’s emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. “Quite frankly, if they’d been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals,” said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

“The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana,” White House spokesman Dan Bartlett said. “The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana.”

Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state’s victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.

Disintegration of New Orleans police slowed response: guard commander

Sat Sep 3, 4:34 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The National Guard was slow to move troops into New Orleans because it did not anticipate the collapse of the city's police force after Hurricane Katrina, the guard's commander said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Lieutenant General Steven Blum said the New Orleans police force was left with only a third of its pre-storm 1,500-person strength.

Some police had families caught up in the disaster, others were unable to make it back to their precincts because of the flooding, and yet others left their posts after deciding the situation had grown too dangerous.

"The real issue, particularly in New Orleans, is that no one anticipated the disintegration or the erosion of the civilian police force in New Orleans," Blum told reporters here.

"Once that assessment was made ... then the requirement became obvious," he said. "And that's when we started flowing military police into the theater."

On Friday, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin angrily denounced the slow federal response as too little, too late, charging that promised troops had not arrived in time.

"Now get off your asses and let's do something and fix the biggest goddamn crisis in the history of this country," the mayor said in remarks aired on CNN.

Blum said that since Thursday some 7,000 National Guard and military police had moved into the city.

But he said any suggestion that the National Guard had not performed well or was late was a "low blow."

The initial priority of the Louisiana and Mississippi National Guard forces was disaster relief, not law enforcement, because they expected the police to handle that, he said.

"We were pulsing forces in in very degraded infrastructure -- airports had reduced capabilities ... in some cases we only had one road in because of lack of bridges, flooding, loss of infrastructure," he said.

"So we couldn't rush to failure on this thing and we had to take a more measured approach on this thing than any of us wanted," he said.

When it became apparent that disorder in New Orleans should be the most immediate priority, the National Guard waited until they had enough forces in hand to make an overwhelming show of force, he said.

On Friday, while
President George W. Bush was touring the stricken city, 1,000 military police and National Guard stormed the convention center where street gangs mixed in with thousands of others awaiting rescue had created a volatile situation, Blum said.

"Had we gone in with a lesser force we may have been challenged, innocents may have been caught in a fight between the guard and military police and those who did not want to be processed or apprehended," he said.

Bush, under intense criticism for the slow federal response, on Saturday ordered an additional 7,000 active duty and reserve ground troops to reinforce the National Guard.

That would raise the level of US military forces committed to the relief effort -- active duty as well as national guard and reserves -- to more than 50,000 by the end of next week.

Blum said that on Saturday there were 27,000 national guard troops in Louisiana and Mississippi. That number will grow to about 40,000 within the next week, he said.

There were varying estimates of the number of active duty troops already in the area as part of the relief of operations before Bush's order.

Major General Joseph Inge, deputy commander of the US Northern Command, put the number of active duty forces already on the ground at nearly 5,000 while Blum estimated the active force at 7,000, including sailors aboard navy ships.

The additional troops ordered in from the active force include 2,500 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division, 2,700 from the 1st Cavalry Division and 2,000 from the 1st and 2nd Marine Expeditionary Forces.

<div class='bbimg'>Image</div>
Last edited by CRaZy)-(ØR§]® on Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member

Next

Return to Politics