Katrina & Racism?

Postby Iceman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:03 pm

Here is how I see it. This may be a little long so bear with me if it gets long-winded.

The so-called, self-proclaimed "Black Leaders" live in a world of hypocrisy and exploitation. They are still trying to ride the Civil Rights wave and the oppressed racist midset that all you have to do is scream racism and you will get what you want. This hurts the cause of minorities in general and blacks specifically. It's like crying wolf. You cry it too many times and people will start to ignore "EVERYTHING" you say. The ignorant leaders who subcribe to this mentality and practice need to be slapped in the mouth and gagged.

How about a little personal responsibility. The mayor and govenor of Louisiana could have done more in the days leading up to the hurricane hitting land.
1) They could have made all interstates and highways outbound only.
2) They could have setup shelters further North in the state
3) They could have used all public transportation buses and school buses to bus the people out of the low lying areas.
4) The aftermath showed tons of cars submerged, which says to me that alot of people chose to stay, not because they couldn't leave.
5) Decades prior to now, the city/state, knowing that La is below sea level, could have done something to relocate the people that wanted to move from the coast to a location further inland.

Did they do any of this in enough time......NOPE. They waited until it was too late to issue an evacuation warning. Then they wait until the city is devasted with people suffering and say that the Federal Government is to blame. Pass the buck is the name of this game now. No one want to accept responsibility for what could have been done before the hurricane hit.

Then I see this Telethon on NBC with Kanye "Ignorant Azz" West making a statement that the Pres doesn't care about Blacks. NBC then issues a statement saying Kanye's comments were hsi opinions alone and not supported by NBC. This is an attempt by the liberal media and the puppet black to make this into a race issue with nothing to substantiate their viewpoint. The ones that are complaining the most have done the least and are hurting any chance of minimizing racism in this country. If 9/11 killed more blacks than whites, I guarantee you they would be trying to make that a race issue also.

This sickens me because they dont realize that they are nothing but pawns for the liberal cause. They think that the positions they have is true power, not realizing that without the liberal media, they would not have a voice. So what do they do? Sellout the real cause for equality in exchange for a feeling of being important and a "Black Leader". I'm getting pissed just typing this. I'm gonna stop before I start to get redundant.
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:00 am

Postby Invid » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:36 pm

Iceman wrote:How about a little personal responsibility. The mayor and govenor of Louisiana could have done more in the days leading up to the hurricane hitting land.
1) They could have made all interstates and highways outbound only.
2) They could have setup shelters further North in the state
3) They could have used all public transportation buses and school buses to bus the people out of the low lying areas.
4) The aftermath showed tons of cars submerged, which says to me that alot of people chose to stay, not because they couldn't leave.
5) Decades prior to now, the city/state, knowing that La is below sea level, could have done something to relocate the people that wanted to move from the coast to a location further inland.

The only one that I would question is #1. Back when Floyd was predicted to hit Charleston they had never had a plan to reverse all interstate lanes to get people out. People sat on the interstate for hours and hours without even moving. The SCDOT now has a plan to reverse the lanes on the interstate and practice it once a year (without actually reversing the lanes). Now, if LA did not have any plan it would be bad...people would have been stranded out in the open in their vehicles when the storm hit.
Invid. The Man, The Myth, The Legend.
Image
Invid
Senior Member
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:13 pm

Postby Iceman » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:50 pm

Invid wrote:
Iceman wrote:How about a little personal responsibility. The mayor and govenor of Louisiana could have done more in the days leading up to the hurricane hitting land.
1) They could have made all interstates and highways outbound only.
2) They could have setup shelters further North in the state
3) They could have used all public transportation buses and school buses to bus the people out of the low lying areas.
4) The aftermath showed tons of cars submerged, which says to me that alot of people chose to stay, not because they couldn't leave.
5) Decades prior to now, the city/state, knowing that La is below sea level, could have done something to relocate the people that wanted to move from the coast to a location further inland.

The only one that I would question is #1. Back when Floyd was predicted to hit Charleston they had never had a plan to reverse all interstate lanes to get people out. People sat on the interstate for hours and hours without even moving. The SCDOT now has a plan to reverse the lanes on the interstate and practice it once a year (without actually reversing the lanes). Now, if LA did not have any plan it would be bad...people would have been stranded out in the open in their vehicles when the storm hit.


I hear ya , but he point I'm trying to make is what happened to planning from the state government. It floods in NO wehn they get heavy rain, so why wouldn't some LA gov't official have the foresight to prepare for a major disaster like a hurricane instead of waiting to blame someone. This is stuff that mayors and govenenors from different states should share when they have their conventions instead of meeting for 1 hour and spending 12 hrs in bars and clubs and playing golf. We are too caught upo in luxury that we forgot how to take care of business.
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:00 am

Postby Clizown » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:48 pm

Geez, look at all those buses they could have used....there must be atleast 110 buses in that picture alone...each bus has 2 rows of 12 seats, if you count 2 people in each seat, plus small children in laps plus a driver thats aleast 55 people per bus....

that 6,050 people that could catch a ride right in that picture...
Last edited by Clizown on Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
Clizown
Godlike Member
 
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:16 am
Location: Atlanta,Ga

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:47 pm

Clizown wrote:Geez, look at all those buses they could have used....there must be atleast 110 buses in that picture alone...each bus has 2 rows of 12 seats, if you count 2 people in each seat, plus small children in laps plus a driver thats aleast 55 people per bus....

that 6,050 people that could catch a ride right in that picture...


they said they could have gotten 20,000 people out atleast with those busses..now you have to figure you have 3 days to get out..thats alot of trips to high ground..just those busses could have been enought to get the poor out ..now you have to look at all the cars like iceman said....the president declared it a state of emergency before the hurricaine hit like the saturday before the hurricane hit..why would the state and local officials sit on thier asses and not stress that hey this one could be the one..
the president asked the saturday before the hurricaine if they could take control of the state and local athoritys so that efforts could get underway as soon as possible..the coast guard was following the right behind the hurricane so they could get right in..
the thing is they can not start to police until the president can give the ok ..if Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco would have handed over the control to the president..i doubt we would see the death toll that we have..he would have brought in the troops and laid down marshall law and people would have been out of there alot sooner than they were and with no shooting from survivors...

but you wait..they will try to pass the blame on the government of the U.S. instead of stand up an admit they should have stressed that our town may not survive this one..

if it would have been stressed to them..i don't think we would have had over 50,000 people or more staying behind..
Image
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/casshern' target='_blank'>Image</a>
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:15 am

Postby CRaZy)-(ØR§]® » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:56 am

And it starts
<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/02/black.lawmakers.ap/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/02/bla...s.ap/index.html</a>

Black lawmakers angry about federal response to Katrina

Sunday, September 4, 2005; Posted: 10:05 a.m. EDT (14:05 GMT)


WASHINGTON (AP) -- Black members of Congress expressed anger Friday at what they said was a slow federal response to Hurricane Katrina.

"It looks dysfunctional to me right now," said Rep. Diane Watson, D-California.

She and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus, along with members of the Black Leadership Forum, National Conference of State Legislators, National Urban League and the NAACP, held a news conference and charged that the response was slow because those most affected are poor. (See video of Congressional Black Caucus taking feds to task -- 5:50)

Many also are black, but the lawmakers held off on charging racism.

"The issue is not about race right now," said Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, D-Ohio. "There will be another time to have issues about color." (Video: Mayor tells feds to 'get off their asses' -- 12:09)

President Bush, who visited storm-damaged areas Friday, acknowledged that the initial federal response was unacceptable and pledged to do more. (Related story.)

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Illinois, said too much focus has been placed on the looting, taking away from what should be the priority: getting food, water and stability to the tens of thousands of displaced victims. (See video of CNN asking why FEMA is clueless about conditions -- 2:11)

Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Michigan, noted that the city of Detroit has offered housing, food and clothing for 500 families displaced by Katrina. She urged other cities to do the same.

Watson and others also took issue with the word "refugee" being used to describe hurricane victims.

"'Refugee' calls up to mind people that come from different lands and have to be taken care of. These are American citizens," Watson said.

Added Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland: "They are not refugees. I hate that word."

He called for citizens and governments to come together "with a force equal to that of Hurricane Katrina" to meet the needs of the hurricane victims.
Image
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/casshern' target='_blank'>Image</a>
CRaZy)-(ØR§]®
Godlike Member
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:15 am

Previous

Return to Politics

cron