ACk, Help

Postby Dewmie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:49 pm

I've been having an issue for the past several weeks....I"ve taken my machine in several times to the local shop I get almost everything done at, each time saying it should be fine....and its not

Everytime I start up a game, I'm good for around....20 minutes or so, maybe a little longer.....After which time I'll crash back to windows, usually with the color/brightness messed up

It used to completely restart, but now it just crashes to windows.

At first I thought it was overheating, but i have plenty of fans, and according to the BIOS im running way below the limits. I don't have any spyware/viruses that either I or the shop has found and they flashed the BIOS for me, fixing a problem with VGA cards and 1GB of RAM and temp controls.

This all started when i upgraded to a new processor (AMD 64 4000+) and mobo (Abit AV8)

i have a 9700 AIW pro, and am running XP, all drivers are up to date....

any ideas? its getting old real fast :unsure:
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/dewmgheyz' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Dewmie

Postby Invid » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:52 pm

what drivers are you using?

i've always found the the omega drivers seem to be the best for my ATI 9800 Pro AIW
Invid. The Man, The Myth, The Legend.
Invid

Postby Whitey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 am

Yes what drivers are you using. Did you install new drivers and this started shortly after. Or did it just start out of the blue and you haven't installed any new drivers or anything. Did you do any new win updates or anything like that also.
Whitey

Postby cheese » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:37 am

Dewmie wrote:I've been having an issue for the past several weeks....I"ve taken my machine in several times to the local shop I get almost everything done at, each time saying it should be fine....and its not

Everytime I start up a game, I'm good for around....20 minutes or so, maybe a little longer.....After which time I'll crash back to windows, usually with the color/brightness messed up

It used to completely restart, but now it just crashes to windows.

At first I thought it was overheating, but i have plenty of fans, and according to the BIOS im running way below the limits.  I don't have any spyware/viruses that either I or the shop has found and they flashed the BIOS for me, fixing a problem with VGA cards and 1GB of RAM and temp controls.

This all started when i upgraded to a new processor (AMD 64 4000+) and mobo (Abit AV8)

i have a 9700 AIW pro, and am running XP, all drivers are up to date....

any ideas?  its getting old real fast :unsure:

I have the exact same problem. Now Mine restarts too by itself.
cheese
Godlike Member

Postby Caladus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 am

Dewmie/cheese read here ---> <a href='http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49' target='_blank'>Abit-USA.com Forum/AV8 Survey Thread</a>

I bought a combo Abit AV8 & AMD64 3500 about 6-7 months ago from Monarch and had nothing but temp issues with it. Was sounding the temp alarm from boot and whenever I'd start up any game or cpu intensive app. As soon as I would shutdown the game it would cease, like throwing a switch. Otherr times it would shut the machine down thinking the temp was too high when it wasn't.

That thread I linked you to was started in August of 04 and is at 50+ pages now and I don't believe that anyone from ABIT has replied yet. A newer BIOS came out and seemed to fix the erroneous temp. readings for some, for some it took flashing the BIOS to the new one several times, and for others it didn't make a damn bit of difference.

Anyhoo, I sent my mobo/cpu back to Monarch twice and they could find NO problem. Second time they claim they put a new mobo under the cpu. Finally after much pissing and moaning to them they RMA'd the combo for a full refund (God bless them).

Finally bought and ASUS A8V and have had NO issues, same CPU, PS, Memory, etc. My recommendation....ditch the AV8. Nuttin but trouble from my experience. :angry:
Rotsa ruck!
Last edited by Caladus on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/caladus' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Caladus

Postby cheese » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:32 am

I got my computer from HP. I have since replaced the video card. It really has to be the video card and nothing else. I replaced the original with a 9600xt. Then that one wasn't working so I replaced it with yet another 9600xt.

Still same problem
cheese
Godlike Member

Postby Dewmie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:33 pm

im thinking it is a problem w/ the mobo/GPU

i had a similar problem before but it was because a my 9700 wouldnt work w/ an nvidia chipset mobo...which is not the case now

i did flash to the new BIOS...it fixed the temp readings, but it still crashes back to windows w/ everything messed up
Dewmie

Postby Octane » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:31 pm

Please just try my advice from cheese's thread... it won't bother anything to just throw some different RAM in the machine that you know is good RAM. I had the same exact problem, I'm not joking... and it was the RAM in final... I tried everything that you all are trying... I put in a new PS, new vid card, and new harnesses thru the machine and then I tried new Corsair RAM and the problem went away. I even did a RAM test and let the program run over night and it reported no problems. But yet my games were still crashing to desktop.. resizing res. and restarting. New Corsair RAM fixed the problem. I won't hurt anything to get some and just test it. Also, just some advice about drivers, don't forget to completely delete the old drivers from every directory you can find before installing new drivers for ANYTHING.
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/triton2' target='_blank'><!--aimg--><a href='http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/0/triton2.png' target='_blank'>Image</a><!--Resize_Images_Hint_Text--><!--/aimg--></a>
Octane

Postby Iceman » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:48 pm

Ditch the Abit and go with ASUS. I have 4 PC in the house all using various versins of the ASUS mobo and not a single problem.
Iceman

Postby Dewmie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 pm

i've discovered that it only does it when im connected to my network here at my dorms.....i have zonealarm and symantec loaded, but it was doing it before they were on here

i've scanned for viruses and adware.....

any ideas? i find it strange that i run fine when unconnected, but after about half an hour, it just goes on me when im playing online
Dewmie

Postby [MXG]Deimos » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:10 pm

cheese wrote:I got my computer from HP. I have since replaced the video card. It really has to be the video card and nothing else. I replaced the original with a 9600xt. Then that one wasn't working so I replaced it with yet another 9600xt.

Still same problem

** I have not read any other replies **

What size is ur Power Supply. The power supplies sent in those pre-built pcs are generally just enough to power the equipment they ship with. The addition of a better vid card could cause an excess draw on your PSU. I have had problems like that before where my pc rebooted and/or locked up.
[MXG]Deimos
Elite Member

Return to Computers