Need some help shopping for a laptop

Postby syrus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:08 pm

Haven't shopped for one before and I need some help. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want a crap laptop either. Any help would be appreciated.. (i.e. good brands for the buck, good place to shop for one etc..) Also, has anyone ever heard of the brand Acer?

I'm looking to spend around $1,500.00

Thanks in advance
Last edited by syrus on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syrus
Godlike Member

Postby [MXG]Deimos » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:16 pm

As far as brands. I love my dells. I have had mine for 2 years now (knock on wood) and haven't had a problem yet. My company uses them for our laptops and I'm bout to buy my wife one.
[MXG]Deimos
Elite Member

Postby GTAce » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:19 pm

I got mine off eBay...probably saved myself a solid 20% by doing so...I recommend doing that if you're ok with that kind of thing. Mine had been used for 2 months, but just like buying a car...laptop prices will drop like a rock when they leave the store. If you do that, sure, you're taking a risk - but take the seller's feedback rating HIGHLY into consideration...and be sure to ask them questions beforehand...you can also be slightly more safe by buying from a large seller (a company on eBay) instead of Joe Schmoe...

Acer...my mom uses one...it was company-issued. She's had it for a while now and hasnt had any major issues. It's a slow comp, but that's probably just because it's very bottom-line...she doesnt need it to say...make head shots. We've also bought an Acer scanner before that was a Piece. Of. Shit. Ended up throwing the thing away.

I'd steer away from Dell...I've heard a lot of people have problems with them...hp's are nice...that's what I've got - never had any problems in about 2 years now. Ummm...as far as certain spec's, we probably need to know what you're gonna use it for first.

Lastly, you'll need to keep in mind that all laptops will generally have more problems than desktops...They're more prone to overheat. More prone to loose internal pieces - They can also be more expensive/harder to repair bc of the fact that everything is hard to get to and compact...The average person can repair a desktop if they know how....it takes a whole lot of knowledge to repair a laptop on your own. Although your hands are probably too shaky to repair a U.S. battleship, so that's probably not a concern

*edit* reading larry's response...just goes to show you how laptops can vary from person to person - they are all very temperamental...it's either hit or miss...every brand is gonna have a shit batch and a kick ass batch...so, I wouldnt take personal experiences TOO seriously. A warranty could be a good thing if available...just in case...i think warranties on laptops are among the most useful warranties out there
Last edited by GTAce on Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<!--QuoteBegin--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(V) -=- Larry says:
me and draggy gonna fuck u up
syrus says:
it'll take two of you
|ESF{Draggy}ESF| says:
you cant touch me anymore and you know it
syrus says:
I'm coming hardcore now bitches
(V) -=- Larry says:
bring it
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Image
GTAce
Forum Junkie

Postby Charlemagne » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:36 pm

had my dell for about 7-8 months and havne't had any problems with it.
good price too
Charlemagne

Postby GTAce » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:43 pm

to reiterate the concept of hit or miss

<a href='http://www.maximumgamerz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2412' target='_blank'>http://www.maximumgamerz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2412</a>

my sister has had similiar problems...tech support has replaced just about every single component in the damn thing and it still doesnt work
<!--QuoteBegin--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(V) -=- Larry says:
me and draggy gonna fuck u up
syrus says:
it'll take two of you
|ESF{Draggy}ESF| says:
you cant touch me anymore and you know it
syrus says:
I'm coming hardcore now bitches
(V) -=- Larry says:
bring it
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Image
GTAce
Forum Junkie

Postby Hazerduz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:50 pm

I personally own a Sager 4381 and love it. I got it when it first came out like a year ago I think... I have not had any problems with it and the specs are decent. <a href='http://www.pctorque.com/sager-4381-gaming-laptop.php' target='_blank'>Sager</a>

My friend owns an HP notebook and I have to say it is not bad. I think there desktops are garbage but the notebooks are not bad.

I would stay away from dell. I know some friends that own them and man oh man nothing but trouble.
Hazerduz
Godlike Member

Postby jalapeno » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:12 pm

get a dell laptop, hands down
jalapeno
Elite Member

Return to Computers