Need some help

Postby Whitey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:34 am

Ok my connection has been dropping pretty much every night for the past few weeks ever since my ip has changed. I've called them many times and they say o it's a spliter or my router. Well I know it's not the spliter cuz i've changed it 3 time's and it's there spliter. So wondering if it's my router not sure I haven't changed any setting at all or anything so not sure why all of a sudden it would start. So was just wondering if anyone knew of a good switch to get or what ever to try to replace the router and see if it still does it. Any idea's would be nice. Thx's
Whitey

Postby Wolv » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:46 am

Have you tried a direct line to yer pc yet?
The charm of hunting is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Wolv
Forum Junkie

Postby Whitey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:52 am

Not long enough to prob tell have to many pc's doing crap to have unplugged for 24 hours
Whitey

Postby Slorg » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:47 pm

When I used to work for an ISP sometimes people would call in with similar problems. Sometimes it was a case of the person having networked computers without paying the network fee. Most ISP's charge a network fee to hook up multiple computers, but not many people know about that. It's actually illegal to have a network WITHOUT paying the fee (it's in the license agreement that everyone skips by without reading), so they can deny access to one of your comps if that's the case.

Different ISP's have varying rules about that, but oftentimes agreeing to pay the network fee (usually $3/month) solved the problems.
Slorg
Godlike Member

Postby Whitey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:23 pm

I'm under my limit with it Cox is usually pretty light on the problem anyways with it unless you have like a bunch going. I got some other idea's from people i'll try if it happens again.
Whitey

Return to Computers