Sony Ordered to Pay $90 million

Postby GTAce » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:53 pm

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Sony ordered to pay $90 million</span>

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- Sony Corp.'s game unit said on Monday it was ordered by a U.S. court to pay about $90 million in damages and to halt game machine sales in the United States in a patent infringement case against Immersion Corp.

Sony Computer Entertainment (SEC) said it disagreed with the decision by a federal district court in California and would appeal to a higher court.

SCE said it will continue U.S. sales as the suspension order, which covers PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles, two game controllers and 47 software titles, will not go into effect before the appeal and because Sony will be paying compulsory licence fees to Immersion, an SCE spokeswoman said.

Immersion, a California-based developer of tactile feedback technology, claimed Sony Computer Entertainment infringed on its technologies that make a game controller vibrate in sync with actions in games, the Japanese game maker said.

The court's decision confirmed a ruling by a California jury last year that ordered Sony to pay $82 million in the case. The amount was raised to slightly over $90 million due to interest.

Shares in Sony were down 0.45 percent at 4,380 yen near midday Monday, underperforming the the Tokyo stock market's electric machinery index, which rose 0.46 percent.

In another intellectual property-related lawsuit between Japanese and U.S. technology companies, Toshiba Corp. was ordered by a California jury last week to pay a total of $465 million in punitive and other damages to Lexar Media Inc. for stealing trade secrets.

Toshiba, the world's seventh-largest chip maker, suggested it would appeal the decision.

-------------------------------
Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
-------------------------------

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/03/27/japan.sonysuit.reut/index.html' target='_blank'>Source</a>
<!--QuoteBegin--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(V) -=- Larry says:
me and draggy gonna fuck u up
syrus says:
it'll take two of you
|ESF{Draggy}ESF| says:
you cant touch me anymore and you know it
syrus says:
I'm coming hardcore now bitches
(V) -=- Larry says:
bring it
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Image
GTAce
Forum Junkie

Postby HoRnY » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:47 am

yea i heard someone saying something about making them stop selling PS2's. if that happens its gonna suck for them. :nono: didnt know that about Toshiba tho.
Last edited by HoRnY on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:crimson'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>ROLL TIDE</span></span>
HoRnY
Elite Member

Postby Galvatron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:29 pm

I find it funny they're trying to do this just now.
I remember back when I had a PS1, it had the controller that vibrated too so...
Lord knows how many years ago that was...

I call BS on Immersion <_<
Galvatron

Postby Dewmie » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:00 pm

Galvatron wrote:

I call BS on Immersion

I agree
<a href='http://profile.xfire.com/dewmgheyz' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Dewmie

Return to Gaming News